Monday, February 6, 2017

The Pit

As someone who had struggled with depression for most of my life, I really relate with this passage from Psalm 30.

1 I praise You, Eternal One. You lifted me out of that deep, dark pit
and denied my opponents the pleasure of rubbing in their success.
2 Eternal One, my True God, I cried out to You for help;
You mended the shattered pieces of my life.
3 You lifted me from the grave with a mighty hand,
gave me another chance,
and saved me from joining those in that dreadful pit.

4 Sing, all you who remain faithful!


I have always thought of depression as a pit, so when I read this today, it made me realize that I am not the only one that feels that way. David in the Bible, thousands of years ago, felt that way also!  Keeping my eyes focused on Jesus has been the only thing that has kept me out of depression.

Yesterday, I wrote about walking on water and avoiding focusing on the waves. I have had so many waves overtake me since I was a little kid. I didn't know how to handle them, so I internalized and kept it all buried deep down. That was my pit. It kept me prisoner so that all I could see were the problems and not The Solution. But, what I didn't realize was that He was sitting right there next to me in the pit, just waiting for me to look at Him. I struggled trying to find a way to dig myself out of the pit without help. It wasn't until I came to Him and asked for His help that I was lifted out into His firm foundation.

It started with praise and thankfulness. I began to just focus on Him and thank him for all of the good things in my life. My kids. A roof over my head. Air in my lungs. A bed to sleep in. No matter who you are or what is going on in your life, you have SOMETHING to be thankful for. Even if you only have one thing to be thankful for, thank Him and give him the credit for that one thing. That is the first step for getting out of the pit. Your own personal pit may not be depression like it was for me, but if there is something in your life that makes you feel like a prisoner, you can escape!

3 comments: