Friday, April 18, 2014

What do you mean, "No Bunnies"?

Alright, I know the bunny post may have been a little strange to some of you... No Easter Bunny? How could I do without the Easter Bunny? For me, it's not really about the bunny itself.  It goes deeper than that.  I love bunnies.  They are really cute and soft.  What I don't like is the idea of the Easter Bunny being the focus of the holiday.  The more I get to know Jesus and get closer to Him, the more I want to remove everything that distracts from Him.  Like I said in my last post, it's not about legalistic rules about how to celebrate a holiday.  It's about falling in love with Jesus so much that nothing else matters.

I mean, really falling in love with Him, not just saying that you love Jesus.  I have become obsessed.  I am in love more than I have ever been in love with anyone or anything else.  Before I fell in love with Him, I remember how it felt to tell someone Jesus loved them.  It just seemed wrong.  The words felt like sandpaper on the way out.  I thought I meant it.  I knew it was a good thing to love Jesus, but I had a hard time talking about Him.  One way I figured out there was more to Christianity was that I realized that I had a hard time talking about Him.  I didn't know why, but I just couldn't say His name to people.  I could talk about God all day long, but I could not talk about Jesus.

When Columbine happened, and there were kids that were killed because they admitted to being a Christian, I truly couldn't say at that time I would have done the same thing.  That was another clue that something was wrong. It took years of trying to earn God's love, and getting to a point where I could no longer go on, before I cried out for Him and he truly saved me.  I hesitate to use the word "saved" because many Christians use that word too often and don't mean it.  Jesus really, actually saved my life and changed me from the inside out.

I like to think of myself as a "recovering Baptist." I know people who have been delivered from drugs or alcohol.  I was delivered from religion.  Now, don't get me wrong, I have met Baptists who truly have had a relationship with Jesus, but as for myself, I was a dead Baptist.  It was really a spirit of religion I was delivered from, its just more fun to say "recovering Baptist." I was so hard headed, too.  It took a lot for Jesus to shake me up to a point where I began to let go of what I thought was true and started to see Him for who He really is.  I know there are still habits that He is helping me get away from, but all I know is that ever since I met Him in a real way, I have never been the same.  Do you feel like you need a deeper relationship with Him? Ask Him to show you the truth.  He is so good, He will open your eyes to who He really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment